For media inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com
Do you have a question?
Ask our experts!
- 7 logical reasons why the truck manufacturers are neither in a position nor willing to sanction someone who brings a claim against them in the truck cartel caseEver since the truck cartel scandal broke and the compensation proceedings were launched, there have been constant rumours that it is not worth claiming compensation because there could be “consequences”. Despite the fact that in… Read more 7 logical reasons why the truck manufacturers are neither in a position nor willing to sanction someone who brings a claim against them in the truck cartel case
- State-owned companies, municipalities and public corporations – are they really obliged to claim damages from truck manufacturers?The question is often asked: are state-owned companies, municipalities and their municipal enterprises as well as joint-stock companies, in contrast to private companies, legally obliged to initiate compensation proceedings against cartel truck manufacturers before the end of… Read more State-owned companies, municipalities and public corporations – are they really obliged to claim damages from truck manufacturers?
- Judgment of the Amsterdam Court of 20.7.2022In the Netherlands, our clients’ claims are in the third wave of plaintiffs. This allows us to follow the development of the case for the two groups of plaintiffs that will be tried before us… Read more Judgment of the Amsterdam Court of 20.7.2022
- European Court of Justice ruled: Special vehicles such as waste collection trucks are also subject to the truck cartelOn 01 August 2022, the ECJ clarified that refuse collection trucks and other special vehicles are to be included in the compensation under the truck cartel in the same way as other trucks. The Court thus followed the… Read more European Court of Justice ruled: Special vehicles such as waste collection trucks are also subject to the truck cartel
- Mercedes has set aside reserves of more than €1 billion in preparation for litigation and legal risksAlthough truck manufacturers are extremely low-key (for understandable reasons) about the ongoing claims for damages by the truck cartel, in the background they have already had to reckon with the probably inevitable consequences. At least, this is… Read more Mercedes has set aside reserves of more than €1 billion in preparation for litigation and legal risks
- Only 4 months left to act for those who want to get compensationThe explosion in costs and fuel prices that is taking place in Europe before our eyes is putting an extraordinary strain on truck operators, adding to the inevitable wage increases of recent years. It is safe to say that businesses… Read more Only 4 months left to act for those who want to get compensation
- Defeat for Mercedes. Motions to bias against the presiding judge rejected.Update: The motion for bias filed by Mercedes at the Dortmund Regional Court, Case No. 8 O 4/18 were dismissed. The Dortmund Regional Court was originally scheduled to pronounce a judgment against truck manufacturer Mercedes in an ongoing truck antitrust case in January 2022, but Mercedes wanted… Read more Defeat for Mercedes. Motions to bias against the presiding judge rejected.
- DAF has filed a motion to join the other truck manufacturers in the proceedings in the NetherlandsCounterparty’s procedural steps During the proceedings, DAF filed a motion to join the other truck manufacturers in the proceedings in respect of our claim. DAF has already made such a request, but this request has… Read more DAF has filed a motion to join the other truck manufacturers in the proceedings in the Netherlands
- ECJ puts the plaintiffs in the Truck Cartel in an even more favourable positionThe ECJ (Court of Justice of the European Union) has now confirmed that the limitation period only starts to run in 2017 (the year of publication of the Commission’s decision) and not already in 2016 (the year of the… Read more ECJ puts the plaintiffs in the Truck Cartel in an even more favourable position
- Truck Cartel legal action – A comparison of cases in the UK and GermanyAfter several years of uneventful waiting, recent developments in the RHA case have brought truck cartel compensation back to the spotlight in the UK. For those who may have missed the latest news, a ruling by the Competition… Read more Truck Cartel legal action – A comparison of cases in the UK and Germany
- Scania has filed an appealAs we reported earlier, the European Commission imposed a fine of € 880 million on Scania in Truck Cartel case in 2017 after Scania, unlike the 5 other truck makers, did not cooperate in the investigation of the fraud. Scania’s claim against the… Read more Scania has filed an appeal
- The chronological history of the Truck CartelThe (price-fixing) Truck Cartel lasted formally for 14 years from 17.01.1997 until 18.01.2011 and was only revealed to the public years later in 2014. The generally accepted view in the field is that damage can be detected up to the… Read more The chronological history of the Truck Cartel
- Latest decision: waste collection trucks and other special purpose trucks are also entitled for compensationOn 24th of February, the Advocate General made it clear in her decision that refuse trucks and other special purpose trucks should be considered just the same as general purpose trucks in the truck cartel compensation process. The early March published Opinion (Case C-588/20,… Read more Latest decision: waste collection trucks and other special purpose trucks are also entitled for compensation
- Required documents for the Financing Agreement and the Sale of ClaimsInvoices or leasing contracts (scan copy). Both purchase, hire purchase, leasing and long-term rental are eligible. It is important that the chassis number of the vehicle is listed on the documents. In the case of a leasing or hire agreement, the total amount, including the down… Read more Required documents for the Financing Agreement and the Sale of Claims
- It’s still not late to get compensation at German CourtsIn many EU member states, it is no longer possible to claim compensation for truck cartel damages at court. Reason for that is, that although the EU requires legal harmonisation at a basic level (this means that the… Read more It’s still not late to get compensation at German Courts
- Good news for non-EU truck owners in truck cartel compensation caseFrom the outset, the whole procedure has only allowed companies based in the EU to claim compensation. From a legal point of view, this is an understandable limitation, as the European Commission’s resolution did not provide a stable… Read more Good news for non-EU truck owners in truck cartel compensation case
- The European Court has dismissed Scania’s lawsuit and upheld the € 880 million fine As previously reported, Scania has tried to go its own way in the truck cartel process, unlike other truck manufacturers. In its 42-page ruling published on 2nd February 2022, the European Court clearly rejected this option. According to the European… Read more The European Court has dismissed Scania’s lawsuit and upheld the € 880 million fine
- Status report truck cartel lawsuits in the Netherlands January 2022On 20th September 2021, our Dutch advocates (from law firm STEK)attended the formal hearing of the Amsterdam District Court. The court discussed a number of procedural issues that were important for the proceedings but also time-consuming. At this… Read more Status report truck cartel lawsuits in the Netherlands January 2022
- Status report truck cartel lawsuits in Germany, January 2022On 23 September 2021, the Federal Court of Justice (BGH), Case No. KZR 35/19, ruled on fundamental liability and fully confirmed the legal opinion of the plaintiffs. There was not only an exchange of information, but – as… Read more Status report truck cartel lawsuits in Germany, January 2022
- Is Mercedes grasping at straws? Motion of bias against the presiding judge.Update 2: Defeat for Mercedes. Motions to bias against the presiding judge rejected. Update 1: According to information from the Dortmund District Court, no decision has yet been made on the bias applications as of… Read more Is Mercedes grasping at straws? Motion of bias against the presiding judge.
- Was the truck purchased new directly or via a wholesale company – in both cases there is a claim to the refundIn the second ruling on the Truck Cartel, BGH KZR 19/20, the Federal Court of Justice clarifies that the factual assumption also applies in the case of an indirect, third-party purchases. Because the legally independent wholesalers were involved in the distribution in a systematic and continuous… Read more Was the truck purchased new directly or via a wholesale company – in both cases there is a claim to the refund
- Yet another Higher Regional Court decision in favour of the Truck BuyersWith the decision of the 1st Cartel Senate of the Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt, 5 August 2021 *, another Higher Regional Court has now joined the plaintiff-friendly judicature in the Truck Cartel case. The decision deals with the… Read more Yet another Higher Regional Court decision in favour of the Truck Buyers
- Reimbursement of the HGV toll – apply for the full amount!Following a change of the legal basis, there will be a partial refund of the German HGV toll. But be careful: this refund only covers a fraction of the actual claim! The offered process will reimburse the reduction for… Read more Reimbursement of the HGV toll – apply for the full amount!
- Next milestone and time expectationsNow that three Federal Supreme Court (BGH) judgments have been delivered*, all of which are favourable to plaintiffs, the lower courts are called upon to determine the extent of damages. The Federal Supreme Court (BGH) strongly backed the proceedings… Read more Next milestone and time expectations
- Time-barring – a complex subject explained simplyWith regard to the statute of limitations in the truck cartel case, it should first be noted that the limitation periods have been suspended for a very long time due to the ongoing investigations. The process finally resulted… Read more Time-barring – a complex subject explained simply
- And what about Scania now?The Scania case is special. While the other 5 cartel offenders fully confessed and admitted all offences, Scania is still resisting. A fine of 880 million euros was imposed on Scania. Scania had to pay this fine because the decision had… Read more And what about Scania now?
- The truck cartel caseThe European Commission has imposed almost three billion euros in fines on 5 truck manufacturers in the largest cartel uncovered so far, the truck cartel, AT.39284. It is important to note that Daimler, MAN, Renault/Volvo, Iveco and DAF are jointly and severally liable, i.e. each cartel participant can… Read more The truck cartel case